This is also known as Idiyappam in Tamil and Malayalam. It is known as Vaththu Shavige or Akki Shavige in Kannada and is prepared on Bheemana Amavasya festival. This Rice noodles is served in many different ways for breakfast or for the main course.
Time Required: 40 Minutes
1 Cup Rice Flour
1 Cup Water
1 tsp Oil
Salt to taste
Boil water with Salt and 1 tsp Oil.
Add Rice Flour and mix well to form a dough.
Remove from heat and make into balls and steam for 10 minutes.
Remove and put each of the ball in the Vaththu Shavige presser or Chakkali presser.
Brass and steel pressers are available in the market. In olden days, wooden Shavige pressers were used to prepare Shavige.
Press out Shavige / Vermicelli on a plate.
Spread a wet cloth on a tray. From the plate transfer the Shavige onto the wet cloth.
It is transferred to a tray with a wet cloth to avoid the shavige from drying up. Just before serving, you can transfer the shavige to a serving dish.
You can serve Shavige with different types of accompaniments.
- Serve plain Shavige with Pickle (midi uppinakayi and coconut oil)
- Lemon Shavige – Procedure is same as Lemon Rice. Substitute rice with Shavige
- Serve plain Shavige with Gasgase Payasa
- Serve plain Shavige with Coconut Milk mixed with Jaggery
- Serve plain Shavige with Grated Coconut and Jaggery mixture
- Serve plain Shavige with Coconut Chutney