This is also known as Idiyappam in Tamil and Malayalam. It is known as Vaththu Shavige or Akki Shavige in Kannada and is prepared on Bheemana Amavasya festival. This Rice noodles is served in many different ways for breakfast or for the main course.
Time Required: 40 Minutes
1 Cup Rice Flour
1 Cup Water
Salt to taste
Heat water, add Salt and Rice Flour and mix well to form a dough.
Remove from heat and make into balls and steam for 10 minutes.
Remove and put each of the ball in the Vaththu Shavige presser or Chakli presser and press out Shavige / Vermicili on a plate.
Spread a wet cloth on a tray.
From the plate transfer the Shavige onto the wet cloth.
- Lemon Shavige – Procedure is same as Lemon Rice. Substitute rice with Shavige
- Serve plain Shavige with Gasgase Payasa
- Serve plain Shavige with Coconut Milk mixed with Jaggery
- Serve plain Shavige with Grated Coconut and Jaggery mixture
- Serve plain Shavige with Coconut Chutney