A check dam was built over the Kanva river in 1946 thus forming the Kanva reservoir. It is 15 kilometres long and covers 776 hectares (1,920 acres). Sir M Vishveshwaraiah was the chief advisor while building the Kanva reservoir.
The reservoir irrigates many acres of land in this region and serves the drinking water purpose.
Hills surround the reservoir adding to the beauty of the place.
Arcanut and Coconut plantations dot the area.
The local people of the region often go fishing in this reservoir and sell them to make a living. A fisheries training and research center was established near the dam. This center imparts knowledge in fish farming.
Many aquatic birds swim happily in the reservoir.
Interesting place nearby:
The cave temple of Purushotthama Thirtha Gavi is situated 3 kilometres from Kanva reservoir. It is a pilgrimage center for Madhwa Brahmins. A statue of Hanuman is installed inside the cave. In this cave, it is believed that Sri Purshottam Teertha who was Vyasa thirtha’s guru resided.