The above chorus is from a famous Kannada song Kapadu Sri Sathya Narayana. For lyrics please refer the following link – http://meerasubbarao.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/kapadu-sri-satyanarayana-lyrics
I remember coaxing my aunt to tell me the story about children in the forest organizing the Sathyanarayana pooja overcoming all obstacles to make it a success. I must have heard it innumerable times and listened with the same intensity every time.
Every Hindu would have performed Sathya Narayana Swamy Pooja or would have at least attended a pooja at home or at a temple. This vratha/observance is considered very important and the blessings of the Lord Sathya Narayana / Lord Vishnu is considered good for any new beginning like wedding, house warming, etc. The pooja is also performed on every month on Hunnima / Full Moon day in the evening.
The story of Lord Sahtyanarayana, which is believed to have been told by Lord Vishnu himself to the sage Narada for the benefit of humankind. The goodness of the lord is described in the sacred text Skanda Purana. The Lord is in the form of Chathurbhujam (4 hands) and one hand is in the blessing posture.
The pooja ends with telling the various stories of the lord and distribution of Sathya Narayana Prasada. It is believed that we should ask and take the prasada and it is only this case that even if you steal and eat the prasada, you will never be held guilty!
List of things needed for the pooja are:
- Lord Sathya Narayana Photo
- Ganapathi idol
- Krishna/Vishnu/Rama idol
- Sandal Paste
- Bale Kandu (2) / Banana Stems and 1 Banana leaf
- Mango Leaves
- Sathya Narayana Prasada also known as Sapadabhaksha
- Milk, Curds, Honey, Sugar, Ghee for Abhishekha
- Coconut (5)
- 5 types of fruits
- 3 – 4 Gejjevastra
- Flowers (String and Loose)
- Tulasi, Garike
- Navagraha Dhanya Set (9 different grams representing each of the planet)
- 2 Kgs Rice
- Mangala Drowya and Pooje Samanu
- Incense Stick, Camphor
- One new towel
- One Blouse Piece
- Villedele / Betel Leaves, Betel Nuts
- Drakshi/Raisins, Godambi/Cashew nuts, Badami/Almonds, Kallu Sakkare/Candy, Kharjura/Dates-100 gms each
In the designated place tie the Bale Kandu/Banana Stems on both sides. Prepare the Kalasha. Keep the Photograph and in front of it keep the Kalasha.
Fold the Blouse piece and Towel and put it over the Kalasha. Spread the Banana leaf or a sheet of newspaper in front of the Kalasha and spread rice over it. Arrange the Navagraha items over it.
If you have called a priest, he will guide you through the pooja procedure. You can also do the pooja on your own and the steps are as follows:
- Do Pooja for Ganapathi (Abhishekha, Gejjevastra, Alankara, Insense Stick arathi, Naivedya, Camphor Aarathi and Namaskara)
- Do Abhishekha to the idols
- Offer Gejjevasthra
- Offer Haldi/Turmeric/Arishina and Kumkum
- Decorate with flowers
- Read Navagraha Sthrotra
- Sathya Narayana Ashtothara
- Lakshmi Ashtothara
- Do Insense Stick Aarathi
- Offer Naivedya
- Perform Mangalarathi
- Read the stories of Lord Sathyanarayana and perform aarthi after each story
- Perform Mahamangalarathi
- Perform Thuppad Aarathi
- Distribute Prasada
- Give Mangala Drowya to all the ladies
Prepare Habbada Adige and enjoy the meal with your loved ones. For Shlokas on Lord Sathyanarayana please refer this link – http://meerasubbarao.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/shri-satyanarayana-slokas